Brussels attack: Police searching for mysterious ‘man in a hat’ seen before bombings

Written by admin on 26/04/2020 Categories: 老域名购买

BRUSSELS (AP) —; Belgian prosecutors launched a public appeal Thursday seeking any information on “the man in a hat” seen before the Brussels Airport suicide bombings that killed 16 people.

Belgian Federal Prosecutor Eric Van der Sypt said authorities were especially interested in any people who might have filmed or photographed him.

The suspect was seen at the airport with two suicide bombers before they died in the March 22 attacks. A subsequent explosion at Brussels’ Maelbeek subway station killed another 16 people the same morning.

Photos released by prosecutors showed the man, who was wearing a dark hat, leaving the airport on foot, walking to the nearby town of Zaventem and then into Brussels, where all traces of him were reportedly lost.

The suspect also wore a white jacket but discarded it at some point, prosecutors said.

02:02

World

Man who lost leg in Brussels attack uses social media to cope with his loss

02:08

Global National

Brussels airport slowly re-opening after attacks

03:00

Global National

Belgian authorities forced to release man arrested in Brussels attacks

01:00

Crime

Muslims rally in support of Brussels attack victims

01:17

World

Brussels attacks: death toll rises to 35, more suspects arrested



老域名购买

Related

  • Man who lost leg in Brussels attack uses social media to cope with his loss

  • 1st passenger flight leaves Brussels since March 22 attacks

  • Laptop of Brussels bomber had PM’s residence, office info

    The appeal for public assistance more than two weeks after the suicide bombings indicates that investigators are at a standstill. Three bombers, two at the airport and one in the subway, also died in the attacks, which wounded 270 people and were claimed by Islamic State extremists.

    READ MORE: Laptop of Brussels bomber had PM’s residence, office info

    According to a video reconstitution of the suspect’s itinerary presented to reporters, the man left the Brussels Airport terminal at 7:58 a.m. before the two other men he was with there detonated suitcases laden with explosives. He passed by a Sheraton hotel and a rental car parking lot, walked through the town of Zaventem, discarded his jacket, and was seen on video footage at Meiser Square in northeastern Brussels at 9:42 a.m.

    Eight minutes later, his trail vanishes.

    Mandatory Credit: Photo by Isopix/REX/Shutterstock (5624448h)CCTV footage of the airport attack suspectTerrorist attacks press conference, Brussels, Belgium – 07 Apr 2016

    Photo by Isopix/REX/Shutterstock (5624448h)

    Belgian authorities hope that they or someone finds the discarded jacket, saying it could yield precious clues. Federal Prosecutor Thierry Werts also said many people who were around the hotel when the suspect walked by may now be overseas, and asked for their assistance as well.

    Prosecutors asked “people who might have filmed or taken a photograph of the suspect or think they can provide extra information” to call a special telephone number or to email authorities.

    Belgian media had earlier identified a Brussels resident arrested on terror charges as the missing man in the hat. But prosecutors never officially confirmed the reports, and a judge ordered the man’s release.

    READ MORE: Man who lost leg in Brussels attack uses social media to cope with his loss

    Also Thursday, the lawyer for Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam said it will take some weeks before his client can be extradited from Belgium to France.

    Lawyer Sven Mary spoke after a legal hearing on the Belgian-born French citizen’s continuing detention in Belgium. He said the existing “Belgian arrest warrant must be lifted for (Abdeslam’s) transfer” to France, in accordance with the extradition request.

    ‘Ode to Joy’: Orchestra performs Beethoven anthem in Brussels memorial square

    02:07

    ‘Ode to Joy’: Orchestra performs Beethoven anthem in Brussels memorial square

    02:40

    Belgians make another arrest following Brussels attacks

    03:43

    Raids target terror cell suspected in Brussels and Paris attacks

    03:19

    Caught on camera: Brussels police shoot man allegedly carrying explosive during raid

    00:36

    Video of Belgians coming together in peace after Brussels attack goes viral

    01:20

    Brussels police shoot suspect alleged to be carrying suitcase full of explosives



    Mary said before Belgian authorities let Abdeslam leave they want to question the 26-year-old about another case – a deadly police raid in the Forest neighborhood of Brussels days before his arrest.

    Abdeslam fled to Belgium after the deadly Nov. 13 attacks on Paris and was arrested March 18 after four months on the run. Since then he has been in a prison in the Belgian city of Bruges.

    He faces preliminary terrorism charges in France for the Paris attacks, which killed 130 people, left hundreds wounded and were also claimed by the Islamic State group.

Comments Off on Brussels attack: Police searching for mysterious ‘man in a hat’ seen before bombings